Thursday, July 02, 2009

I Pledge That I Do Not Want PED Sec. Veronica Garcia's Job

I was out of town when the news broke, and have been trying to do a bit of catch-up regarding the proposed change codifying the position that no NM public school student will be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

I wrote a little something about the Pledge in practice this past school year...let me rummage around and find that...oh yeah, here it is.

But getting back to the proposed change, I made the car crash rubber-necking decision this morning to check out some online comments to media stories about it. I know, I know...online comments might just be the greatest single sign that the term "human evolution " is an oxymoron.

Still...can you imagine the crap NM Public Education Secretary Veronica Garcia and staff are wading through right now on this issue? It would take more than a haz mat suit and kevlar vest for me to even glance at the "official comments" sent to Garcia. Yet, here I am painfully looking at the loony prose thrown at the story in Farmington, Las Cruces/El Paso, and Albuquerque via "Topix".

Tough job, man. Tough.

P.S.: I see from the press release that the written comments (emails included! yikes...) are actually going to a Mary Deets, general counsel for the PED. I propose Ms. Deets be immediately given a $100,000 raise, and a fresh NM email address.
MaryH.Deets@state.nm.us has got to be a Superfund site by now.

No comments: